Possible Nabarlek

1. Malcolm Turner 2 years ago

Yes, it is a Nabarlek. Note the bushy tail held up in a curve. Nice footage.
    Malcolm Turner

2. Israel 2 years ago

looks like a short-eared rock wallaby to me. They are larger than nabarlek, but the white stripe on the flank is a distinguishing feature.

3. Profile photo of pietervogelfreak Author
    pietervogelfreak 2 years ago

Hi Malcolm and Israel, thank you for your replies! It is a difficult matter. For instance, is the tail held in a curve that reliable as an identification? And the white stripe on the flank isn’t that distinguishing for the Wilkins’s (Short-eared) Rock Wallaby as I look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsBAjBU8BA

Hope to hear from you again,

Best regards,

Pieter de Groot Boersma

• Israel 2 years ago

the Perth Zoo animal in that video was a misidentified short-eared rock wallaby. The zoo’s census for 2013 lists it as a nabarlek (and that is what all the articles and videos from then identify it as) but in the 2014 census this had been corrected.

Other features of the short-eared rock wallaby as opposed to nabarlek (going by the field guide for Australia) are that the former has a black brush tail, and dark paws. Both species seem to hold their tail in an upward curve.

4. Profile photo of Jon Hall
    Jon Hall 2 years ago

I have a hunch its a Narbalek though I am not certain: the way it carries its tail is Narbalek-like to me. I have seen a Narbalek only once for sure, but have seen Short-eared RWs many times. I have sent it to others and will let you know if I get a reply

5. Profile photo of Jon Hall
    Jon Hall 2 years ago

Just to complete this discussion, I sent the video to experts in the Northern Territory who all believe this is a Short-eared Rock Wallaby. Its marking are, they think. too prominent to be a Narbalek. And I don’t believe we will get a better informed opinion than that jon