Who have seen most cat species?

Is there someone who has seen all the earth’s species of cats??
If not, is it doable you think?

Who have seen the most? Is it anyone who´s visiting this page?

How many species is it? 36? 37? 38?
I have read so many different numbers, which current species list is most accepted?

1. Profile photo of tomeslice
    tomeslice 6 months ago

Is it doable? I think so. Lots of time and dedication of course, but if that’s your goal then I think it’s possible.

As far as people who have seen the most species, I’m not sure, but two names that come to mind are Richard Webb and Vladimir Dinets.

2. Hamman Prinsloo 6 months ago

I’ve been wondering about the same for a while now. Would love to see all of them one day.

Looking forward to the response!

3. Profile photo of Jon Hall
    Jon Hall 6 months ago

Richard Webb and Phil Telfer are both on a quest to do this – they are neck and neck though I think Richard’s Margay at Christmas may put him one up on Phil. I don’t remember how many they have seen though – more than me though (and I have seen 25)

4. Profile photo of Vladimir Dinets
    Vladimir Dinets 6 months ago

I saw an African golden cat a couple weeks ago, that leaves Sunda clouded leopard and marbled cat. I’m pretty sure I’ll get them within 2-3 years, considering that I’m moving to Asia and will be able to travel to Borneo more or less regularly. In case anybody’s interested, my list looks like this at the moment:

Cheetah: seen in Tanzania, Kenya & S Africa;
    Puma: seen in Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Belize & USA (CA, TX, CO, NM, FL);
    Yaguarundi: seen in Peru, Costa Rica & Mexico (Chiapas);
    Andean cat: seen in Chile (Lauca NP);
    Margay: seen in Brazil (Tocantis), Mexico (Campeche) & Honduras;
    Ocelot: seen in Peru, Belize, Honduras, Mexico (SL Potosi) & USA (TX);
    Geoffroy’s cat: seen in Argentina (Chaco NP);
    Colocolo (inc. Pantanal and pampas cats): seen in Chile, Argentina, Brasil & Ecuador;
    Kodkod: seen in Chile (near Chaiten);
    Oncilla (incl. southern oncilla): seen in Mexico (Quintana Roo), Costa Rica, Venezuela, Peru & Brazil (Sao Paulo);
    Pallas’ cat: seen in Afghanistan & Mongolia;
    Jungle cat: seen in Azerbaijan, India (Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh) and Sri Lanka;
    Black-footed cat: seen in South Africa (near Giant’s Castle NP);
    Sand cat: seen in Turkmenistan & Egypt;
    Wildcat (incl. Chinese mountain cat): seen in Kazakhstan, Abkhazia, China (Hebei), Israel, Kenya, S Africa, Namibia, Ethiopia, Scotland, Italy, France, Bosnia & Slovenia;
    Bengal cat (incl. Amur and Iriomote cats): seen in Russia (Ussuriland), China (Yunnan), Philippines (Palawan), Indonesia (Sarawak) & India (Kerala);
    Rusty-spotted cat: seen in Sri Lanka;
    Flat-headed cat: seen in Indonesia (Sarawak);
    Fishing cat: seen in Nepal & Sri Lanka;
    Bay cat: seen in Indonesia (Sarawak);
    Asian golden cat: seen in China (Sichuan);
    African golden cat: seen in Cameroon;
    Caracal: seen in Israel, Kenya, Botswana & S Africa;
    Bobcat: seen in USA (CA, AZ, CO, ME, SC, TN, FL, LA) & Mexico (Michoacan, Coahuila);
    Canadian lynx: seen in Canada (NT, QC) & USA (AK);
    Eurasian lynx: seen in Russia (Buryatia, Moscow province, N Caucasus, Khabarovsk province, Yakutia), Bulgaria & China (Tibet);
    Iberian lynx: seen in Spain;
    Serval: seen in Kenya;
    Snow leopard: seen in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan & China (Xinjiang);
    Leopard: seen in Russia (Ussuriland), Turkmenistan, Israel, Laos, Malaysia, India (Orissa, Gujarat), Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Namibia, Zambia & S Africa;
    Jaguar: seen in Peru, Bolivia & Mexico (Sinaloa, Chiapas);
    Tiger: seen in Russia, Malaysia & India (Madhya Pradesh, Uttaranchal);
    Lion: seen in India (Gujarat), Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, DRC, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia & S Africa;
    Mainland clouded leopard: seen in China (Yunnan).

5. Lars Petersson 6 months ago

If you follow this link you may find some answers:
    But since there are only a few people on the list, I’m sure it does not tell the whole thruth…? There are more cat hunters out there…

6. Profile photo of Antee Author
    Antee 6 months ago

Thanx. Great answers.

What about Chinese mountain cat, Pantanal cat, Pampas cat, Iriomote cat, African wild cat, Southern Tigrina etc. etc. , do you count them as a seperate sighting?

• Profile photo of Vladimir Dinets
      Vladimir Dinets 6 months ago

No, I don’t consider them full species. Molecular evidence conclusively shows that Chinese mountain, Pampas, Iriomote and African wild cats are not full species. Pantanal cat and southern tiger cat might be full species, but it hasn’t been proven well enough.

7. Profile photo of Antee Author
    Antee 6 months ago

Thanx for clarification.

Let´s go and find som cats…

8. kelly fleming 6 months ago

Thank you, Vladimir, for your seen cat spp list. As a fellow cat-hunter I appreciate the dedication, time and skill it takes to compile a spp list such as yours.
    I feel more confident in my own quest after seeing your amazing list.

Currently looking for the southeastern Arizona USA jaguar and ocelots.

9. Author
    Andreas Jonsson 6 months ago

The race for being the first seing all the cat species is over…

I´ll go for being the first with a picture with handheld camera of everyone 🙂
    I´ll come back when I´m done 🙂

Let´s have a good start in Deramakot, Borneo next week.

10. Charles Foley 6 months ago

Yeah, you’re clearly slacking on the Asian cats there Vlad. Definitely put that into the ‘could do better’ category. Of course, given enough time, I’m sure our geneticist friends will pull a ‘Groves and Grubb’ on us and concoct an extra 20 species for you chase down….

11. Profile photo of Vladimir Dinets
    Vladimir Dinets 6 months ago

Charles Foley: I don’t think it’s likely to happen. Feline genetics have been studied relatively well.

12. Charles Foley 6 months ago

Yes but then again, they did manage to come up with 11 species of Klipspringer.

13. jo dale 5 months ago

Our group added marbled cat to our own lists after being in Sabah for the past 3 weeks. Despite 9 nights in Deramakot, where we were out every night searching until around 3 am, we failed in our quest to see the clouded leopard. GUTTED!!! So I will need to plan another trip there at some point. We also dipped flat-headed cat on the kinabatangan as the water level was high and didn’t connect with Bay Cat – although that is not surprising.

• Hamman Prinsloo 5 months ago

Jo Dale I hope you’ll provide a trip report on the 3 weeks in Sabah!

14. Profile photo of Lennartv
    Lennartv 5 months ago

Awesome record, Vladimir. I thought Andean mountain cat would be the hardest, but you already have that one too! My goal is also to see every cat species this world has to offer. Still haven’t seen a single one yet, but I’m planning to start off with a good one: snow leopard next year.

15. RICHARD WEBB 5 months ago

Apologies for joining this thread so late but I have been looking for Snow Leopards from the car in Qinghai with some success. Report to follow. As Jon mentioned Phil Telfer and I have our own competition trailing behind Vladimir and I have currently seen 32 species. Rather than list what I’ve seen the gaps are currently Bay Cat, Mainland Clouded Leopard, the two Golden Cats, Northern Oncilla although I have seen an unidentified Oncilla in the overlap zone, Andean Mountain Cat which I have almost certainly seen but not conclusively, and Colocolo. I hope to see at least the latter two this year. I also hope to see Amur Leopard Cat this year even though it is currently only a very distinctive sub-species. I do count Chinese Mountain Cat as it is still considered a full species by IUCN as to quote from the red list,

‘The taxonomy of the species remains unclear. Felis bieti was recently attributed species status by Kitchener and Rees (2009), based on morphology and potential sympatry with Asian Wildcat (Felis silvestris ornata). Genetic evidence has indicated F. bieti to be a subspecies of Felis silvestris (Driscoll et al. 2007), however, greater sampling and assessment of genetic materials from individuals living in the wild is urgently required to be able to draw firm conclusions. Taxonomy is currently under review by the IUCN SSC Cat Specialist Group’. Others have also questioned the validity of the genetic data presented.

IUCN also treat the two Oncillas as separate species although acknowledge that further research I required. They have suggested on the red list pages that Oncilla may actually represent as many as four species! IUCN Cat Specialist Group are currently carrying out a taxonomic review and other splits, e.g. Sunda and Indochinese Leopard Cats are possible although widespread splitting like the ungulates seems unlikely.

Richard

16. natalia 5 months ago

In my opinion, the last studies show that there are 38 species of wildcats. They have reduced the number of gender

17. Vladimir Dinets 2 months ago

Leopardus tigrinus has been split into three species. The paper is excellent and the evidence compelling: http://www.revistas.usp.br/paz/article/view/133608/129588