After the popular, albeit highly controversial, world’s best mammal poll (thanks everyone for the analysis) I would love to hear what your current 10 most wanted mammals are. I know a few people already posted their most wanted lists (and I plan to go back to those responses when I look at the votes) but feel very free to repost again here.
To make the
judges’ my life simpler could you try to limit your list to just ten species. Feel free to qualify your choices (e.g. I want to see an Aardvark but I have to be naked and drinking a beer at the time) though I will ignore these qualifications when tallying the score.
If you want to minimise my own massive prejudice coming through when I score these (I confess I am a total Giant Pangolin racist), try to be specific about the species rather than listing a genus or order. If you want to be more specific than the species (e.g. Siberian Tiger) then I will try to honour that, unless it becomes too troublesome for my feeble mind.
To kick things off then here are my ten most wanted species in no particular order, and this might well have changed by this afternoon depending on what other people say.
- Giant Pangolin (sorry Eran!)
- Bush Dog
- Leopard Seal
- Sun Bear (this might seem a bit of an outside choice: it is the only bear I haven’t seen and I have always had a bit of a thing for them)
- Spotted Bat (google a picture and you will see why)
- Tufted Ground Squirrel (as above)
- Maned Rat (super cool looking AND it keeps its fur poisonous)
- Aye Aye (more than ever after Eran Tomer’s brilliant description .. in case you missed it “it looks like an opossum that fell into a washing machine. You know, one of those animals that sleeps with its fur on and never irons it. It also has a perennially-shocked stare, as if caught naked or doing something Momma told it not to.”)