Where Can I See A Black Mongoose in Namibia?

1. Brett Hartl 6 months ago

I saw 2 black mongoose at Waterberg camp NWR just outside Waterberg Plateau NP in 2015.

• Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
      Jon Hall 6 months ago

Thanks. Were they a pair or separate sightings? And did you just bump into them or were they coming into camp?

2. Vladimir Dinets 6 months ago

Just read my trip report from last summer 🙂

3. Chris Townend 6 months ago

Hi Jon,
    I am guessing you probably already know this but Erongo Wilderness Lodge is a regular site within the grounds. I saw one with my group dash across the road on the approachbtrack to the lodge: http://www.wisebirding.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/FINAL-Report-NAMIBIA-NOV-2016.pdf
    Though I never stayed at the lodge, but certainly worth making a few enquiries with staying there. Good luck!

4. Vladimir Dinets 6 months ago

Also, Arnhem Cave 2 hrs E of Windhoek is a great place to see many species of bats, plus there are some nice small mammals around the entrance – see my 2008 report.

5. Matt & Maureen 6 months ago

We just got back from Namibia on Monday, and we saw a pair of black mongoose at Erongo Wilderness Lodge. The chap there (forget his name) told us they’re often spotted on the boulder slopes to the right of the camp (to the right as you’re looking at the camp from outside). So we took the advice of that Phd student you mentioned, and found an excellent spot overlooking the slope at 7am and settled down to wait. I think it was around 7:30am that the mongooses appeared and spent a good 5-10 mins gradually traversing the slope. Shadowy little devils!

To be exact: as you’re standing looking at the camp gate, take a path immediately on your right. If you follow it for a minute, you’ll actually be crossing the boulder slope where we saw the mongooses. But if you just go a few yards along the trail and then branch onto a smaller trail on the right right, it’ll take you to a good spot to overlook the slope instead.

• Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
      Jon Hall 6 months ago

Thanks Matt & Maureen this iOS really useful information! I tracked down the PHD student I met 10 years and she confirmed that Erongo is a great place still … especially the campsite. So I hope to get there and perhaps the lodge too.

• Matt & Maureen 6 months ago

Good luck! Oh, and just in case my wording was confusing: I’m ONLY talking about the lodge, which is where we stayed. I was saying “camp” cos they’re posh tents. ; ) We didn’t explore around the campsite.

• Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
          Jon Hall 6 months ago

I understood! There is a campsite at Spitzkopppe which is meant to be good for them too.