Aye Aye at Palmarium Reserve

Hi…

Does anyone have experience of Palmarium Reserve, as it has been recommended to me as a good spot to find Aye Aye, but I always thought that the lemurs there were basically tame and that it was not a real reserve as such. Is this the case or, as has been suggested, are there wild Aye Ayes sharing the reserve with the other tame species?

I already intend to visit Daraina and Farankaraina to look for the Aye Aye, but can easily add Palmarium if it makes sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Jason

1. vnsankar123 5 years ago

Didn’t really know much about the place, but looked for more info. Seems there are Indri, Red-ruffed, and Black-and-white Ruffed lemurs in one place, which means these are certainly tame/introduced.

Regarding Aye-aye, they were apparently ‘reintroduced’ onto some island near the lodge (it is on a lake I believe). Apparently they come to bait stations. At any rate, there seems to be a ridiculously high density of them in a 50 ha patch of forest, so I highly doubt that they are wild.

2. Profile photo of jasonwoolgar Author
    jasonwoolgar 5 years ago

Yes, I was fairly certain that the other species were tame and am even more so now that I have seen some photographs. However, I was not sure about the reintroduced Aye Aye, which I was told were living naturally on the island, as per so many reintroduced species on various reserves across Africa. I must admit, judging by how difficult they are to find elsewhere, this does look too good to be true, but I will be fairly close to the area and might visit just to see for myself. Thanks for the information and I will let you all know how I get on.

Jason

3. mauricetijm 5 years ago

Dear Jason,

I friend of mine travelled to Nosy Mangabe to see the Aye Aye and had a good experience there. He saw one shy Aye Aye emerging from a nest, doing some quick foraging and retreating back in his nest. A local guide brought him and two fellow travellers to the Island. More on this location: http://news.mongabay.com/2005/0417d-rhett_butler.html. I am not familiar with other locations, travel distances etcetera but considered this worth posting. Have a great time mammal watching.

4. Profile photo of jasonwoolgar Author
    jasonwoolgar 5 years ago

Thank you very much for that, I am actually going to Nosy Mangabe, as well as Daraina and Farankaraina, but have decided to skip Palmarium, as the reserve looks more like a zoo and is not really my thing. The trip has already grown from 22 days to around 30, so I am giving myself a reasonable chance of seeing the Aye Aye and a number of other unique species. Thanks again and I will let everyone know how I get on.

Jason

• Wytze 5 years ago

Dear Jason,

I went to Madagascar last year and saw the aye-aye on a small island near Mananara. It is a small island where the guide will wait as long as it takes to see the aye-aye. They live in small houses that they built themselves and during twilight they come out to eat. The aye-aye is not tame and will run away as you following him (the guides are just running after him and after a while he will retreat to his nest). At Nosy Mangabe you can’t see the aye-aye and the red-ruffed lemur but you can see the Black-and-white Ruffed lemur and if you’re lucky also the brookesia (I haven’t seen it).

Wytze

• Profile photo of jasonwoolgar Author
        jasonwoolgar 5 years ago

Thanks Wytze…do you know the name of the island and do you have contact details for the guide?

Jason

• Wytze 5 years ago

Yes we went to hotel chez roger, they organize trip to the island. We called it aye-aye island (just as in the lonely planet).

5. Profile photo of mikehoit
    mikehoit 5 years ago

Hi Jason
    I saw this post a bit late so hopefully you haven’t left yet – I’ve just left a new post on the forum regarding Aye-aye in NE Madagascar which may be useful.
    cheers
    Mike

• Profile photo of jasonwoolgar Author
      jasonwoolgar 5 years ago

Thanks Mike….have posted a reply on your other post and it would be great to be able to email you directly re Madagascar and Estonia.

Cheers

Jason

6. Bart Jan 1 year ago

Hi Jason,

I’m going looking for Aye Aye this September and I wondered how you got on in Farankaraina?

Cheers,