RFI – Peninsular Malaysia

Hi,

A bit unexpectedly we will have time in March to visit Peninsular Malaysia for
some 3 weeks to do some bird- and mammalwatching.
The following mammals I hope/expect are somewhat
doable: slow loris, western tarsier, colugo, tapir (Kumbang), a flying squirrel species and the occasional
civet, palm civet, mongoose, or binturong. Poachers seem to have exclusive
viewing rights to exciting macromammals/larger cats, but any tips would be most
welcome.

Taman Negara, Panti Forest, Bukit Fraser, Kuala Selangor and Cameron Highlands
are well covered by trip reports and I will visit several of these places, but I
would also be interested in trying less visited areas (either guided or
unguided).If anyone could provide practical and/or birding/mammal information on
the following areas that would be great:

Krau Reserve – it looks like this is open to researchers only?? Can tourists
visit this area and if yes, what are the options?

Endau Rompin – is 4WD always necessary to access it. Is there a good trail
network? Are night drives/walks possible/allowed? Are there local guides and are
they any good?

Royal Belum/Tememgor Reserve – the lodges in the area here seem a bit too
focused on the eco/adventure tourist. Are there any places here that cater for
the hobby naturalist and offer (or allow) night drives/walks or boat trips at
night?

Ula Muda Reserve (Earth Lodge) – from the little I could find, this appears to
be a very interesting place (much more than Temenggor/Belum). Has anyone been
here?

Taman Negara

The main entrance at Kuala Tahan is well covered in reports, but what about the others.

The Merapoh entrance seems a bit limited in what you can do. How many trails are
there? Is spotlighting along the entrance road worth a try (I was told that spotlighting in the park is not allowed). Does this area have
interesting species that are difficult to find in Kuala Tahan?

North Entrance: Kuala Koh: this area supposedly has a hide with a salt lick and a canopy walkway. Anyone been here??

If I have overlooked any other forest reserves/parks with good
mammal/birdwatching, I would be happy to know.

Cheers,

Sjef

1. Scary Israel 10 years ago

you might have some trouble finding tarsier in Peninsular Malaysia…

• tomeslice 10 years ago

I was just going to say the same thing.. I was under the impression that no tarsier species occur on the main land, but only on the Indonesian and Philippine islands

• Scary Israel 10 years ago

the western (Horsfield’s) tarsier lives on Borneo and Sumatra. The rest only on Indonesian and Philippine islands. None in Peninsular Malaysia.

2. Bob Berghaier 10 years ago

Sjef has asked some good mammal viewing location questions, can anyone on this site answer them?

3. Maurice Tijm 10 years ago

Colugos were particularly easy to see on Perhentian Besar (there is one main trail from the main village in the west to a place in the east on which I saw Colugo during day and night within 20 minutes). I also saw Dusky Langurs there. Looking forward to your report, there should be a lot more mammals around than the reports currently cover!

4. White1985 10 years ago

I am visiting the region in May. If I come across any interesting information during the preparation of the trip, I’ll share it.

5. Jon Hall 10 years ago

Hi Sjef, I am looking forward to hearing what you see. I stayed at Nusa Camp in the main bit of the park (or just outside) and the guys there reckoned the road to Kuala Tembelling was good for stuff. I reckon you could see a bit if you had a car there and took some lengthy spotlighting trips. I don’t know much else about the area but you could post some RFIs on any Malaysian birding email groups you can find.. I imagine there will be quite a few good local naturalists who might be able to give you some good advice.- it would be great if you can share what you learn. cheers Jon

6. […] RFI – Peninsular Malaysia […]

7. Ben 9 years ago

Hi Sjef,

How did your trip turn out? Any interesting sightings of birds or mammals? I’m planning to go to peninsular Malaysia for a few weeks in August.

Best,