I have two vacancies on a weekend trip to NW California – SW Oregon. The cost is $300 pp plus your share of expenses (car rental, food and fuel). The plan is as follows:
1) We leave Davis at 8 pm on Friday and go to Hoopa to look for fishers. It’s a 5-hr drive from Davis, so we’ll have half the night.
(2) At dawn we go to Humboldt Lagoons area (1.5-2 hrs) to look for Western red-backed voles. Azalea groves there tend to be good for seeing moles on surface. We’ll also look for good places to re-visit on Sunday night, particularly for Sonoma tree vole nests and white-footed vole habitats.
(3) We go to Humbug Mt. area (2.5 hrs) and look for good places to set traps. In addition to Sherman and pitfall traps, I’ll bring a few tomahawk traps for Aplodontia and spotted skunk.
(4) We spend Saturday night spotlighting at Humbug Mt., then pick up the traps and go back to California.
(5) On Sunday we explore Redwood NP area, with a side trip to Oregon Caves to look for bats.
(6) On Sunday evening we return to Humboldt Lagoons area, set traps in places we’ve found on Saturday, spotlight until 1 am, pick the traps, and go back (5 1/2 hrs to Davis).
We should get some endemic shrews and rodents (voles, chipmunks, jumping mice, etc.) and probably some interesting larger mammals. If you are interested, please let me know.