Two Weeks in the Pantanal
This past September, we spent 2 weeks in the Pantanal. It was a fantastic trip that exceeded our already high expectations.
We saw 22 mammal species (not counting the non-native water buffalo and feral pigs) including Marsh Deer, Red and Gary Brocket Deer, Brown Capuchin, Crab-eating Fox and Raccoon, Giant Anteater (all too brief unfortunately), Brazilian Tapir, Black-tailed Marmoset, Brazilian Rabbit, 8 different Jaguars, Vampire Bats, Giant Otters, Tayra and more.
Of course the bird life was amazing and we even managed to see 14 herp species.
The itinerary was as follows:
- 26 hour door to door travel on American and Avianco airlines
- 1 Night Hotel Prime Deville Cuiaba
- 2 Nights Pouso Alegre (North Pantanal)
- 5 Nights Hotel Porto Jofre (North Pantanal)
- Chartered flight to Barranco Alto (South Pantanal)
- 4 Nights Barranco Alto
- 27 hour door to door on American and Azul
The TR covers 11 different posts all of which can be viewed here.