what is this mammal?

1. Profile photo of tomeslice
    tomeslice 7 months ago

Where in the States was this taken?
    The first things that pop to my mind are a squirrel or a marten

2. Venkat Sankar 7 months ago

Elevation seems too low for marten; it was taken at night, so I also doubt it’s a squirrel. Looks too large for weasel, so maybe a young Gray Fox? Might conceivably also be a Ringtail, but the tail should be more obvious on one of those. Honestly, I’m not really sure…

3. Profile photo of liometopum Author
    liometopum 7 months ago

The photo is from near Mokelumne Hill, in Calaveras County, in the Sierra Nevada foothills. This is a heavily (mixed) forested and brush area, intermediate in elevation.

Taken at night. Note the eyes glow, so it cannot be a squirrel. See http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96414364

I think it’s a predator. The feet look cat-like. It has tiny ears, unlike a gray fox (I feed a wild one every night, so I am very familiar with them).

4. Mike Richardson 7 months ago

I would say it’s definitely a mustelid of some kind. Long-tailed Weasel?

5. Robert Foster 7 months ago

I think you mean American marten. Purple martin is a bird. I have quite a number of images of American martens on my trail cameras here in Canada and your image is pretty consistent with a marten.

• Profile photo of liometopum Author
      liometopum 7 months ago

I messed that up badly!!
      But I am still not sure if it is a marten or a weasel. How would you tell the difference?

6. John Van Niel 7 months ago

I am going to pile on the mustered band wagon as well

• John Van Niel 7 months ago

Mustelid…. Sorry I didn’t notice the autocorrect

7. Profile photo of liometopum Author
    liometopum 7 months ago

I sent the video link to John Buckley, who operates a Sierra Nevada conservation group called CSERC. They use lots of wildlife cameras in the area, and he thinks it is almost certain to be a weasel, based on shape, size, speed, and behavior when having its photo taken by a game camera.

8. Profile photo of Jon Hall
    Jon Hall 7 months ago

I am weighing in late on this, but I would say a LT Weasel too .. the paler belly looks more like a weasel than a marten to me.