Costa Rica RFI

Hello and a very happy (hopefully mammal-filled) new year to all!

I’m hoping someone will be able to help me out with a couple of questions for a trip later this year:

1) Does anyone have up-to-date contact info for Avenatura (Damas/Manuel Antonio)?

2) Any recommendations for a good tour operator for a day trip to Sirena station in Corcovado NP from Drake Bay? I’ve failed to convince my other half of the merits of staying overnight at the ranger station…

Thanks, all the best

Mike

1. Jorn Van Den Bogaert 1 week ago

hello
    i recommend to stay at least one night in the sirena station. The daytrips to sirena return already before 2pm so you are spending more time on the boat like in corcovado. I was last month 2 nights in sireba station. Also if you dont stay overnight in sirena the chances of seeing tapir is small. Jorn

2. David Robichaud 1 week ago

Hi there,

I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica. We spent four nights at the Sirena Station, and ended the trip with multiple Tapir, Tamandua, and three-toed Sloth sightings, as well as encounters with Collared Peccary, Coati, Red Brocket, Wooly Opossum, 2 species of squirrel, a spiny rat, four species of roosting bats, and four species of monkey. Our most productive time was the 5 AM nature walks, when almost all our Tapirs were seen, which you would miss on a day trip without an overnight. We did see a Tapir during the day one time because one of the local guides happened to find one in a wallow on that day and he happened to share it with our guide. Realisitcally, during a day visit, you stand a chance to see all four monkeys, and maybe one or two other things.

Our guide was Henry Sandi from Surcos Tours, an excellent bird / herp specialist. He knew where to look for a few of the bats (known roosts), but everything else was seen becuase we happened accross the animals, and Henry had a good sense (hearing / smelling / seeing) for it. I got the impression that all the Surcos guides were top notch.

Dave

3. Profile photo of tomeslice
    tomeslice 6 days ago

Hi Mike,

I “second” the vote for staying at least one night at Sirena station. It’s actually not that bad! Bunk beds – yeah, but if you stay at the rooms (as opposed to the camping platform, which is less recommended) then you don’t get so many people snoring.

Anyway, day-trip or overnight, I can safely recommend Drake Rural Tours if they’re still in existence, and if not I would direct you to Rebeca Quiros on Facebook so that you can book with her directly.

She does two things:
    1. take you out for a day trip or a multi-day trip to Sirena Station in Corcovado. Or sets you up with her partner (who was also extremely good, I forget his name though).
    2. She and her husband own a property called Tamandua biological Station, which borders Corcovado National park, but is kind of tricky to get to (I fell of a 4-ft mini-cliff with my car while trying to drive there myself, on the riverbank, flipping my car over sideways). But you can do whatever you want there, day or night – including extended night hikes with her and/or her husband, or alone. Having no phone reception, I would be inclined not to venture anywhere without her or her husband, or at least have them set me up with a guide. But the potential there is huge in my opinion.

Another great option is of course the very expensive but extremely luxurious and comfy Bosque del Cabo rainforest lodge in Puerto Jimenez. This very luxurious lodge is at the very tip of the Osa peninsula, and sees many species quite regularly, including semi-regular puma sightings, sometimes right in the middle of the garden, occasional tamandua, rarely a tapir, an ocelot or a jaguarundi on the titi trail, very regular coatis, sloths, spider, howler and capuchin monkeys, collared peccaries, occasionally a white-lipped peccary herd, few silky anteaters here and there, and some cetaceans as well. One record of a grison, two records of a jaguar, and I don’t recall there ever being a tayra.

• Profile photo of mikehoit Author
      mikehoit 2 days ago

Dave/Jorn/Tomer – thanks very much for the input, gave me plenty to think about. Much appreciate the replies, even if I’ve been slack at responding!
      Having spoken to a number of people, it seems that some years Tapir is easy on day trips, in others not, and that in some years visitor numbers are controlled and some years they aren’t – so it’s an unpredictable situation! A couple of guides record that tapirs are currently seen on 60-70% of day trips.
      In any case, I may have worked out a plan to stay over…
      Thanks again!

• Jorn Van Den Bogaert 15 hours ago

Hello,
        For Tapir i recommend Tapirus lodge, but stay overnight ! We have seen in december 2 tapirs with the spotlight at night and in the early morning also 2 tapirs crossing our road. In Sirena i have seen on 3 days/2 nights, 1 night a Tapir with spotlight and 1 early morning 2 tapirs with Sunrise. ? Not 1 tapir during the day. Thats why i decided to stay overnight, because years ago i did a daytour to Sirena and i missed tapir. Best regard Jorn

4. Profile photo of Jon Hall
    Jon Hall 2 days ago

Millenly is a good guide for Manuel Antonio and Silky Anteaters. Her details are on this page https://www.mammalwatching.com/travel/. Cheers

• Profile photo of mikehoit Author
      mikehoit 2 days ago

Thanks Jon. Completely forgot to look on that page!