Camera trap video of wildlife Grebo-Krahn National Park in Liberia

The attached link to a youtube video is well worth a look. It is a compilation of video of wildlife (mostly mammals) taken in the Grebo-Krahn National Park in Liberia, which is a newly established park in the far east of the country. I’d never heard of it before. The video was put together by an organisation called the Wild Chimpanzee Foundation, and shows a wide array of species found in that area, including pygmy hippo, giant pangolin and Jentink’s duiker. The genet isn’t identified, but I’m pretty sure its a Bourlon’s genet. Anyone lucky enough to be heading to the region should definitely watch it to get a good idea of what’s out there.

It seems to be messing up when I try to insert the link, so just copy and paste it into a new tab.

Charles

1. Ian Mackenzie 3 weeks ago

Fascinating footage, the awareness of the camera was interesting too…

2. Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
    Jon Hall 3 weeks ago

Amazing stuff – you forgot to mention Black Duiker (what a beauty), Zebra Duiker, Bongo and GOlden Cat. When are we going Charles?

• Profile photo of Charles Foley
      Charles Foley 3 weeks ago

I was hoping they might show a Liberian mongoose video but no such luck. One to add to the (ever growing) list of places to visit.

3. Venkat Sankar 3 weeks ago

Totally agree–I saw this about a month ago and it really caught my attention! I wonder if there is any infrastructure in the park and if so, it’s possible to visit… Liberia is probably my most-wanted destination in the world now for Zebra Duiker in particular. I’m sure a thermal imager would pick up loads of cool stuff 🙂

• Profile photo of Charles Foley
      Charles Foley 3 weeks ago

I don’t know anything about the Park, but any place with Zebra and Jentink’s duiker is definitely worth a visit. The vegetation does look pretty thick though so actually seeing animals might be difficult. Definitely need the thermal scope there. Oh to be able to travel again…

4. BRUGIERE 3 weeks ago

Superb. If you don’t know this one (ecologyasia) have a look.

5. HeavenlyJane 3 weeks ago

Wow, such a diversity of duikers!

6. Jose R Castello 3 weeks ago

Wow!!! amazing footage!

7. Pictus Safaris 1 week ago

Similar stuff from Tai in Cote d’Ivoire here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjnozIwk4wM

There’s also a mother and calf Pygmy Hippo being seen in daylight fairly regularly at the moment here. I’ll be running a 2022 tour here, and will post on Mammalwatching once the costs are finalised.

Tom