On recent visits to Wilderness (2019 to 2021) I photographed the following small mammals:
1. Brants’ Climbing Mouse (Dendromus mesomelas) @ Fairy Knowe Backpackers.
2. Woodland Thicket Rat (Grammomys dolichurus) @ Fairy Knowe Backpackers. This sighting is at the western extreme of its range in South Africa (field guides do not show it west of Port Elizabeth; but Monadjem et al (2015) show it as far west as the Knysna area).
3. Southern Africa Vlei Rat (Otomys irroratus) @ The Wallow Guesthouse.
4. African Mole-rat (Cryptomys hottentotus) @ The Wallow Guesthouse.
5. Cape Dune Mole-rat (Bathyergus suillus) @ Wilderness Ferry Waterside Jetty.
Images and site notes are detailed at www.pacapix.com/rsa-wilderness/