Microtrip Vienna – European Ground Squirrel and Field Hamster

I recently traveled through Vienna and saw European Ground Squirrel (souslik) and Field Hamsters.

European Ground Squirrels were on suburban fields between the railway stations Zentralfriedhof and Oberlaa, reasonably close to the airport. Two sousliks were seen, both on grassy strips bordering vineyards, which is said to be their favorite habitat. They were shy and binoculars were needed for good observation. Also seen were Swallowtail, two Scarce Swallowtails, Field Hare and Roe Deer. The nearby city cemetery Zentralfriedhof did not produce any hamsters, despite featuring in the BBC documentary. There were two unusually fearless Roe Deer. This is a vast area, and I did not even find likely burrows. I moved to the underground station Meidling and the Meidling Friedhof. It was much smaller urban cemetery, and I saw 6 Field Hamsters within 45 minutes, rather unafraid of people.

Hopefully, next summer travel will be possible for everybody, so below is the background information with useful maps. Apparently, sousliks live even on the airport grounds, although the best place is north of the city. Note that both rodents hibernate and are active only from about May to early August.

1. Pieter de Groot Boersma 2 months ago

Hi Jurek,

I’m travelling Europe right now. I think I will be in Vienna around the 15th/16th of August. So is that definetely too late?

Best regards,

Pieter de Groot Boersma

2. Jurek2 2 months ago

Hi, I am not really a specialist here. I think sousliks are becoming progressively less and less active during August. Hamsters should be active.

• Pieter de Groot Boersma 2 months ago

Hi Jurek,

Thanks you for your reply. Where did you get your information from? Maybe I van contact your source.

I’m heading to the Desman location tomorrow for a few days. So no reception there…

Hope to hear it!

• Mattia from Italy 2 months ago

In August both are still very active, and even in the first half of September, Vienna is not Arctic…

3. Vladimir Dinets 2 months ago

I don’t think hamsters hibernate. There are records from Siberia of dwarf hamsters tunnelling into souslik burrows in winter and eating the hibernating owners.

• Pieter de Groot Boersma 2 months ago

I read that domestic hamsters (at least the dwarfs) enter torpor instead of a real hibernating state.

• Pieter de Groot Boersma 2 months ago

Also, the Field Hamster in the Netherlands (where it is extremely rare) start hibernating/torpor from October. In dimmer, 20 hours of sleep per day supposedly. Early morning/evening best.

4. Vladimir Dinets 1 month ago

So I checked the literature (Mammals of Russia by Dinets & Rotshild, 1998): smaller hamster species only go into torpor, while larger ones can hibernate in very cold weather, but in either case it’s normally only for a few days at a time. However, they store food for the winter, so don’t have to show up on surface very often. If someone really needs to look for them in winter, I’d recommend trying on the first warm day after a cold spell.