Mammal and bird watching near Sao Paulo

Hi all, I’m going to have a long lay over in Sao Paulo on the way to Chile in August. Does any one know of a good spot near the airport for capybaras, general mammal watching, or birding? Preferably somewhere fairly safe to use a long telephoto for pictures… I’m assuming it’s not a good idea to do so in most places as with any major city. I see the Parque Ecologico do Tiete and it seems like a good natural area. I have most of the day, from about 11am – 3am the next morning to explore. This would be a first time to South America so everything is new for me.

1. Shaun 5 months ago

I’ll be in a similar boat soon, so would be interested to see what the replies are

2. Rob Jansen 5 months ago

The Botanical Gardens might be a good spot! We felt perfectly safe walking with a camera and binoculars there! You can see some more common birds there and of course Brown Howler and Black-eared Marmoset! I wrote about it in our trip report which just posted by Jon this very morning!

3. Author
    KyleFinn 5 months ago

Hey Rob thanks I just read your trip report! Black-eared marmoset would be really great!

4. Stefanie 5 months ago

We saw our first capybaras in Brazil right outside of the airport:
    A small group in a pond near the car hire location and hotel Pullman (-23.448453, -46.492632).
    If you have a bit more time, like a day or two, you can go to São Fransisco Xavier for Southern muriqui.

5. Author
    KyleFinn 5 months ago

Thanks for the pond location I will check it out. A friend from Brasil also recommends the canal by the university (-23.553, -46.722) for capybara. She also said Parque Ecológico do Tietê may be good for capuchins and coati.

6. Leonardo Cardia Caserta 4 months ago

I would recommend the Parque Estadual Da Cantareira. It’s about 30 minutes from the airport and it is a large atlantic rainforest reserve. I recommend Núcleo Engordador or Núcleo Cabuçu (subdivisions of the park). But I also strongly recommend going with a birding guide.
    You may see all kinds of monkeys and birds that are natural from this region.