Shameless Self-promotion

The Australian and Brit in me is far too shy to share this….. but I am channeling my inner New Yorker right now … so here’s a fun piece written by Matt Miller – Nature Conservancy communications guru and blogger, author, mammal fan and all round good guy – about me and my mammalwatching.

I caught up with Matt in Idaho last month (trip report coming soon). https://blog.nature.org/science/2019/08/05/one-mans-quest-to-see-the-worlds-mammals/?fbclid=IwAR0NDDqXLAzmDq1_qI0GLEeQLk2iVG_EW_IhraCHFVuuvfrqiTL5-x00kS8

Matt certainly has a way with words and an ability to find the best in people. My daughter just texted me to say – without a hint of irony – “He’s an amazing writer! He made you sound so interesting.” Amazing indeed!

Jon

1. JoEllen Arnold 10 months ago

I loved it!!!! Learned a lot more about you and your quest than I did on our Arizona sojourn last year. Onward!

• Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
      Jon Hall 10 months ago

Thanks JoEllen … I am always surprised when people find my peculiar obsession interesting to be honest so generally try not to talk about it too much… because once I start I am inclined not to stop.

2. Alan Dahl 10 months ago

I always like reading Matt’s stuff and this article didn’t disappoint.

Jon, I don’t think you have to worry about sharing your obsession on this forum since you are “preaching to the choir”.

3. Craig Smith 10 months ago

Grreat story. But how do you afford to travel constantly, Jon? I get one big o/s trip each year, which is great, but could not affrod to do it constantly. Maybe when I’m retired.
    Craig.

• Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
      Jon Hall 10 months ago

Hi Craig, thanks, I’m pretty fortunate to have a job that allows me ] $ and time to travel but I have always made travel my biggest (some would say only)) priority – other people have furniture, cars and property! Frequent flyer points help (much more opportunity to earn loads of them in the US than Australia) ,as well – these days – as the chance to guide occasional trips and tack wildlife trips onto the back of work travel.

4. Profile photo of Vladimir Dinets
    Vladimir Dinets 10 months ago

Learning that Jon went through a birding stage was a big surprise for me 🙂

5. Profile photo of Charles Foley
    Charles Foley 10 months ago

“There were all these people, many of them old men walking around with raincoats and binoculars. The place was just full of birders. I knew I needed to do something else.” I had to chuckle at this comment. You should have added that mammal watchers are far more sophisticated, and typically blessed with extraordinary good looks…

Great piece as usual Matt.

• Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
      Jon Hall 10 months ago

ha ha Charles .. very true. It was also all the handheld tape recorders I remember… hordes of people walking around muttering things like “2 pigeons and a blackbird” into their little machines.