Shameless Self-promotion

The Australian and Brit in me is far too shy to share this….. but I am channeling my inner New Yorker right now … so here’s a fun piece written by Matt Miller – Nature Conservancy communications guru and blogger, author, mammal fan and all round good guy – about me and my mammalwatching.

I caught up with Matt in Idaho last month (trip report coming soon). https://blog.nature.org/science/2019/08/05/one-mans-quest-to-see-the-worlds-mammals/?fbclid=IwAR0NDDqXLAzmDq1_qI0GLEeQLk2iVG_EW_IhraCHFVuuvfrqiTL5-x00kS8

Matt certainly has a way with words and an ability to find the best in people. My daughter just texted me to say – without a hint of irony – “He’s an amazing writer! He made you sound so interesting.” Amazing indeed!

Jon

1. JoEllen Arnold 3 weeks ago

I loved it!!!! Learned a lot more about you and your quest than I did on our Arizona sojourn last year. Onward!

• Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
      Jon Hall 3 weeks ago

Thanks JoEllen … I am always surprised when people find my peculiar obsession interesting to be honest so generally try not to talk about it too much… because once I start I am inclined not to stop.

2. Alan Dahl 2 weeks ago

I always like reading Matt’s stuff and this article didn’t disappoint.

Jon, I don’t think you have to worry about sharing your obsession on this forum since you are “preaching to the choir”.

3. Craig Smith 2 weeks ago

Grreat story. But how do you afford to travel constantly, Jon? I get one big o/s trip each year, which is great, but could not affrod to do it constantly. Maybe when I’m retired.
    Craig.

• Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
      Jon Hall 2 weeks ago

Hi Craig, thanks, I’m pretty fortunate to have a job that allows me ] $ and time to travel but I have always made travel my biggest (some would say only)) priority – other people have furniture, cars and property! Frequent flyer points help (much more opportunity to earn loads of them in the US than Australia) ,as well – these days – as the chance to guide occasional trips and tack wildlife trips onto the back of work travel.

4. Profile photo of Vladimir Dinets
    Vladimir Dinets 2 weeks ago

Learning that Jon went through a birding stage was a big surprise for me 🙂

5. Profile photo of Charles Foley
    Charles Foley 1 week ago

“There were all these people, many of them old men walking around with raincoats and binoculars. The place was just full of birders. I knew I needed to do something else.” I had to chuckle at this comment. You should have added that mammal watchers are far more sophisticated, and typically blessed with extraordinary good looks…

Great piece as usual Matt.

• Profile photo of Jon Hall Author
      Jon Hall 1 week ago

ha ha Charles .. very true. It was also all the handheld tape recorders I remember… hordes of people walking around muttering things like “2 pigeons and a blackbird” into their little machines.