New Trip Report – Central African Republic

1. vnsankar123 6 years ago

Hi,
    Could you please tell us where in Gabon you observed the Golden Cat – that species is on the top of my list and I’m planning on visiting central africa within the next couple of years.

• Profile photo of Jon Hall
      Jon Hall 6 years ago

I know they are often seen on the drive into Lope NP, but I will check with Dominique

• brugiere dominique 6 years ago

I saw the Golden Cat in Ivindo NP on the ay to Loango camp.

2. vnsankar123 6 years ago

Thank you so much! Also, I am wondering if anyone on this site has ever seen a Golden Angwantibo. I cannot find any information on where they might be reasonably easy to see on the internet. I hear that Golden Cats are occasionally seen by Wilderness Safaris while spotlighting in forest-bordered savannah near their Loango Camp. Apparently Angwantibos are occasionally seen in the forests in Odzala too. I saw another trip report where Golden Cat was seen along the road into Mikongo Research Station in Lope NP/

• vnsankar123 6 years ago

Sorry, I meant Lango (not Loango) in Republic of Congo…

• Profile photo of vdinets
      vdinets 6 years ago

All I can say is that angwantibos appear to be extremely rare or absent in Gabon. People I talked with in Lekedi and Lope have seen hundreds of pottos in their lifetime, but not a single angwantibo.

3. Profile photo of PandaSmith
    PandaSmith 6 years ago

Very nice. I sure hope those sorts of trips become common again soon there!

4. Cheryl Antonucci 6 years ago

So I have never been so can only report what I have read, but the tourist chalets in the Rhoko Forest (Nigeria) claim to have regular sightings of golden cat. Its is run by an NGO called Cercopan that has a rescue/rehabilitation center for primates including sclaters guenons which are endemic to Nigeria. They also report 6 types of wild nocturnal primates (4 galagos, potto, and the calabar angwantibo), and regular sightings of wild putty nosed guenons, red eared guenons and mona monkeys. I know not the angwantibo you want, but it seems like a neat place to check out pending the travel safety reports/situations in the country.